It's not very often that I encounter a play where I want to both cheer on and yell at each and every one of the characters.
In Creation, the Theatre @ Boston Court's last theatre production of the 2012 season, I love each one of the characters, and I feel that I get to know them and understand them(where they're coming from, and what struggles they're facing) whenever they use direct address and give us that insight into what's going on. And then I watch them doing something or saying something, and I want to stop them, to make them realize what they have, but I also completely understand why they're making a different choice.
Creation is a play that discusses "creation" in the sense of artistic inspiration and execution as well as a discussion between religion and science. It's a play where scientists are asked to think like artists and vice versa.
It's almost a play about what we choose to believe and the events or moments that lead us to listen to one thing and stop listening to another.
The acting is so beautiful, so realistic with its incomplete sentences and derailed thoughts, that some moments make you feel uncomfortable, like you've just walked in on the characters, infriging on their privacy, or stalking them through the window, or reading their journal.
The language, allusions and metaphors are stunning and extremely clever, woven in so subtly that they seem natural.
The set design is beautiful, making you feel cold when the characters are cold, making you happy that you're inside when it's raining.
I think this is a good moment for me to stop and admit something: I was afraid to write this post. I actually skipped over it and started writing some of the earlier posts. I wasn't exactly sure why I was afraid to start writing about this, but I think I've figured it out now: Creation shows us that things don't last forever.
Especially abstract things, like beliefs and love. It shows us that one thing can happen on a given day and due to different brain paths or divine intervention you can essentially become someone else, someone with a different focus, who cares about new and different things.
And that's terryfing.
The thought that one day a random (or is it?) event could change the course of my life.
I think about that first scene of the two main characters on the dock, of how real and wonderful their parternship seems, how in love they seem to be in that moment ... and to think that by the end of the play they've found something or someone else* ... that troubles me deeply and makes me hold back tears as I write this.
Kudos, Boston Court, for bringing us yet another play that makes us comfront our fears and challenges the way we view the world.
*Okay, maybe that needed a spoiler alert, but really all you have to do is look at the promotional artwork for the show to know something's gonna go awry with that couple.
In Creation, the Theatre @ Boston Court's last theatre production of the 2012 season, I love each one of the characters, and I feel that I get to know them and understand them(where they're coming from, and what struggles they're facing) whenever they use direct address and give us that insight into what's going on. And then I watch them doing something or saying something, and I want to stop them, to make them realize what they have, but I also completely understand why they're making a different choice.
Creation is a play that discusses "creation" in the sense of artistic inspiration and execution as well as a discussion between religion and science. It's a play where scientists are asked to think like artists and vice versa.
It's almost a play about what we choose to believe and the events or moments that lead us to listen to one thing and stop listening to another.
The acting is so beautiful, so realistic with its incomplete sentences and derailed thoughts, that some moments make you feel uncomfortable, like you've just walked in on the characters, infriging on their privacy, or stalking them through the window, or reading their journal.
The language, allusions and metaphors are stunning and extremely clever, woven in so subtly that they seem natural.
The set design is beautiful, making you feel cold when the characters are cold, making you happy that you're inside when it's raining.
I think this is a good moment for me to stop and admit something: I was afraid to write this post. I actually skipped over it and started writing some of the earlier posts. I wasn't exactly sure why I was afraid to start writing about this, but I think I've figured it out now: Creation shows us that things don't last forever.
Especially abstract things, like beliefs and love. It shows us that one thing can happen on a given day and due to different brain paths or divine intervention you can essentially become someone else, someone with a different focus, who cares about new and different things.
And that's terryfing.
The thought that one day a random (or is it?) event could change the course of my life.
I think about that first scene of the two main characters on the dock, of how real and wonderful their parternship seems, how in love they seem to be in that moment ... and to think that by the end of the play they've found something or someone else* ... that troubles me deeply and makes me hold back tears as I write this.
Kudos, Boston Court, for bringing us yet another play that makes us comfront our fears and challenges the way we view the world.
*Okay, maybe that needed a spoiler alert, but really all you have to do is look at the promotional artwork for the show to know something's gonna go awry with that couple.
No comments:
Post a Comment