I think this might be the hardest play for me to write my impressions on - even more so than The Murder Ballad - because I'm definitely not the target audience.
I saw South Coast Repertory's Seussical because I thought it'd be a neat performance to take my Little Sister, Elaine (through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater LA). And I was right - it's a wonderful play for a 9-year-old, as it has all the things I imagine children might be interested in:
I saw South Coast Repertory's Seussical because I thought it'd be a neat performance to take my Little Sister, Elaine (through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater LA). And I was right - it's a wonderful play for a 9-year-old, as it has all the things I imagine children might be interested in:
1) Colors: it's got that lovely Dr. Seuss color palette of pink, orange, yellow, blue, purple and green, which makes the whole performance lively and happy.
2) Costumes: there are "chorus" members who play a variety of roles and need to be dressed as fish and Whos and circus entertainers, so it's exciting to see all the different, colorful outfits.
3) Music: it is, of course, a musical with easy, catchy songs and their reprises.
4) Children: this production contains not only plenty of characters who are children, but it's performed by young actors, making it very relatable to the children in the audience.
So I thought it was cute, and I love that the ensemble was made up of young actors. I volunteered for a semester as a Teaching Assistant at Plaza de La Raza, and it was a joy to help and watch children ages 11-18 improvise and experiment with different theatrical modes and exercises. So I appreciate and love how SCR put forward a significant investment for the children.
No comments:
Post a Comment